'As she planted, so does she harvest; such is the field of Karma.'
Sri Guru Granth Sahib
Don't panic.. I'm not going to mention the 'C' word.. although tins of sweets are ALREADY in Tesco! I kid you not! I'm talking about harvest season! We're always being told to buy local and seasonal food… but sometimes we get swept up in the bargains on offer!
Grocery shopping takes time… and if you're not a list person or you don't have meal plans for the week *raises hand*… it can be overwhelming not to mention pricey… If you buy seasonal foods they taste better and are usually cheaper than the food that's travelled thousands of miles to get to you… I'm watching your carbon footprint people! If you’re unsure of what’s in season, google will get you there in seconds, but September is harvest time and fruits and veg abound, good news for us WW peeps! Good news in fact for everyone! Grocery stores tend to stock up on these items in bulk because they are plentiful, making them less expensive for you… anyone seen the mad rush of french and runner beans at the moment… even better too when they go on sale… You can whip up a batch of soup and freeze it for those emergency late nights at work or lunchtimes .. or stew your own fruit to make some sweet desserts that are point free…
I've added a few recipes throughout that are worth a look!
Apples - the cooking ones.. core them, put some splenda/canderel into them and roast them in the oven… a dollop of creme fraiche… you. are. welcome!
- Dear God I'd be lost without it! Best 0 PP chips EVER! Recipe >>> HERE <<<;
- I don't allow these in my house.. one of the few veggies I don't eat!
- So much goodness in those green leaves… no turn your noses up.. give it a try!
- I use this as half and half with my mash potato.. you can't even taste the difference!
Half the points! >>> Here's <<< another great recipe for cauliflower!
- Make you see in the dark! again, lovely mashed with your potatoes for less PP
- Amazing done as a gratin! Great recipe >>> HERE <<< my cheese points this out at 3pp per serving but I leave the olive out.. but trust me its devine!
- they're all over the place at the moment!
- Who doesn't love it!
Leeks - Part of the onion family.. great in casseroles, stir fries and soups..
Lettuce - Last of the salad days ahead…
Mushrooms - Spray oil and crushed garlic… all the noms!
- These are getting cheap in the supermarket because they're now in season!
- For the gin lovers amongst us… Yes I'm making my own sloe gin..
I'm gonna need a different type of meeting soon!
Spinach - quick and easy and SOOOOOO good for you!
Squashes - Great for soups and roasting as a zero point carb
Sweet Corn - 1pp for 30g
Tomatoes - Roasted as a base for your pasta sauces
- Great mashed but do it yourself the 'mash direct' pre packed versions
are 3PP for the tray!
Watercress - to fancy up your salad… I'm not a big fan but its very good for you…
Have a lovely weekend x